What are sequences?
- A sequence is an order set of (usually) numbers
- Make sure you are familiar with the basics and notation used with sequences
How do I identify a sequence?
- Is it obvious?
- Does it tell you in the question?
- Is there is a number that you multiply to get from one term to the next?
- If so then it is a geometric sequence
- Next, look at the differences between the terms
If 1st differences are constant – it is a linear sequence
If 2nd differences are constant – it is a quadratic sequence
- Special cases to be aware of:
- If the differences repeat the original sequence
- It is a geometric sequence with common ratio 2
- Fibonacci sequences also have differences that repeat the original sequence
- However questions usually indicate if a Fibonacci sequence is involved