Tackle These Brain Teasers for a Productive Revision Break
Amy studied at the University of Bristol and is our revision blog guru. She only graduated recently so understands the pressures of being a student better than most, and is here to share her wisdom so that you revise effectively, smash your exams, succeed at school and write cracking university and job applications.
Returning to school after Christmas is rarely a joyous occasion, but it’s not all doom and gloom. The new term brings a rare opportunity for a fresh start and renewed momentum as you prepare for your summer exams, and as we’re halfway through winter already, it won’t be long until we’re basking in the sunshine once again!
As you embark on the new term (and face up to January exams), keep your goals in mind and continue to work hard on your Save My Exams past papers so you get the results you want in the summer. Hard work will pay off, we promise.
If you need to give yourself a little break though, below are some fun brain teasers that will keep your brain active, whilst taking your mind off what needs doing at school. Because everyone needs a break every once in a while!
Riddle me this…
1. What is 3/7 chicken, 2/3 cat, and a half goat?
2. A prisoner is forced to go into one of three rooms, but he can choose which room. The first room is ablaze with fire. The second one is rigged with explosives that will go off as soon as he enters. The third contains a pair of lions who haven’t eaten in years. Which room should he choose to survive?
3. What falls often but never gets hurt?
4. It can be cracked, it can be made, it can be told, it can be outsmarted. What is it?
1. Monday, six friends went camping. Tuesday, John, Jack, and James cooked some mushrooms. Wednesday came and they ate the mushrooms. Thursday found them all dead. Exactly one friend survived, how come?
2. A woman had two sons who were born on the same hour of the same day of the same month of the same year. But they were not twins. How could this be so?
3. Acting on an anonymous phone call, the police raid a house to arrest a suspected murderer. They don’t know what he looks like but they know his name is John and that he is inside the house. The police bust in on a carpenter, a lorry driver, a mechanic and a fireman all playing poker. Without hesitation or communication of any kind, they immediately arrest the fireman. How do they know they’ve got their man?
4. How could a baby fall out of a twenty-story building onto the ground and live?
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Get the best revision tips, exam advice & new resources straight to your inbox
- The third room – any lions who eaten in years would be dead!
- Snow or rain
- A joke
- The six friends are called John, Jack, James, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. John, Jack, James, and Tuesday cooked the mushrooms. Wednesday joined them and they ate the mushrooms. Thursday was the one to find them dead, so he is the survivor.
- They were two of a set of triplets (or quadruplets etc.)
- The fireman is the only man in the room. The rest of the poker players are women.
- The baby fell out of a ground floor window.