What is an algebraic fraction?
- An algebraic fraction is simply a fraction with an algebraic expression on the top (numerator) and/or the bottom (denominator)
Dividing algebraic fractions
- Never try to divide fractions
- Instead “flip’n’times”
- So “÷a/b” becomes “×b/a”
and then follow the rules for multiplying…
Multiplying algebraic fractions
- Simplify by factorising and cancelling (ignore the × between the fractions)
- Multiply the tops (numerators)
- Multiply the bottoms (denominators)
- Simplify by factorising and cancelling (if you missed something earlier).