You can download the specimen question paper mentioned in the video here
And the insert here
- This question is split between PURPOSE and FORM.
- The purpose of the paper is to persuade/argue/discuss. So remember the Persuasive Writing Theory (ethos/pathos/logos).
- The form will be a letter, article or speech. So remember those techniques.
- Analyse the question and actively read the insert, just as you would for the Paper 1 Reading exam.
- Write down three words that sum up how you feel about the arguments presented in the text.
- Write a quick table like this:
- Find 5-6 arguments from the text (4 For, 1 Against / 4 Against, 1 For – depending which side you’re arguing).
- Sum them up into bullet-points and write them under the corresponding headers.
- Remember to be aware of the counter-arguments, as that’s what you should start with.
- Focusing only on your side of the argument, label your bullets with the following argument type:
- E (emotional)
- L (logical)
- A (authoritative)
- This will make sure you have a varied and multi-faceted argument.
- Don’t waste time on writing long narratives in your plan – save that for your answer!
- Stick to bullet-points, or a even just a single word to jog your memory. This plan is for YOUR benefit, not the examiner’s.
- Also, if you’re unable to sum up your arguments, the examiner won’t be able to either.
E Emotive Language
T Three (rule of)