Why do we need to know what graphs look like?
- Graphs are used in various aspects of mathematics – but in the real world they can take on specific meanings
- For example a linear (straight line) graph could be the path a ship needs to sail along to get from one port to another
- An exponential graph (y=kx) can be used to model population growth – for instance to monitor wildlife conservation projects
Drawing graphs – shapes
- Recalling facts alone won’t do much for boosting your GCSE Mathematics grade!
- But being familiar with the general shapes of graphs will help you quickly recognise the sort of maths you are dealing with and features of the graph a question may refer to