What are surds?
- If n is a positive integer and is not a square number, then √n (or any multiple of √n ) is a surd
- Surds are examples of irrational numbers
What do I need to know about manipulating surds?
- There are two basic rules you need to know in order to manipulate and simplify surds:
- You can collect like terms with surds like you do with letters in algebra:
- You can sometimes use the rules of surds to simplify them and collect like terms:
Be careful adding and subtracting surds – remember you cannot add or subtract 'under the surd':