Specification Point 2.1:
Understand how the similarities in the reactions of these elements with water provide evidence for their recognition as a family of elements
How Alkali Metals React with Water
Alkali Metals: Group 1 metals that includes: Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, Caesium and Francium.
Similar Reactions with Water:
- Group 1 metals will react similarly with water as they are a family of elements called alkali metals
- They will react vigorously with water to produce an alkaline metal hydroxide and hydrogen gas.
Specification Point 2.2:
Understand how the differences between the reactions of these elements with air and water provide evidence for the trend in reactivity in Group 1
Trend of Reactivity
Trend of Reactivity in Group 1 Metals:
- The Reactivity of Group 1 Metals will increase down the group
- As you go down the group, the observations during the reaction with air and water becomes more vigorous
Reaction with Air:
Reaction with Water:
Specification Point 2.3:
Use knowledge of trends in Group 1 to predict the properties of other alkali metals
Properties of other Alkali Metals (Rubidium, Caesium and Francium):
- As the reactivity of alkali metals increases down the Group, Rubidium, Caesium and Francium will react more vigorously with air and water
- Lithium will be the least reactive at the top and Francium will be the most reactive at the bottom
- Francium is rare and radioactive so is difficult to confirm predictions
Predicted Reaction with Water:
Aiming for a Level 9?
See if you’ve got what it takes. Test yourself with our topic questions.
Jamie got a First class degree in Chemistry from Oxford University before going on to teach chemistry full time as a professional tutor. He’s put together these handy revision notes to match the Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry specification so you can learn exactly what you need to know for your exams.
More Edexcel IGCSE (9-1) Chemistry Revision Resources