What is proof by deduction?
- Proof by deduction is when a mathematical and logical argument is used to shows whether or not a result is true
How to do proof by deduction
You may also need to:
- Write multiples of n in the form kn for some integer k
- Use algebraic techniques, showing logical steps of simplifying
- Use correct mathematical notation
Sets of numbers
- ℕ - the set of natural numbers
- ℤ - the set of integers
- ℚ - the set of quotients/rational numbers
- ℝ - the set of real numbers
- Try the result you are proving with a few values– use a sequence of them (eg 1, 2, 3)
- This may help you see a pattern and spot what is going on.