2.2.2 Exponential Equations
What are exponential equations?
- An equation where the unknown is a power
- In simple cases the solutions can be “spotted”
How do I solve exponential equations?
- Laws of Indices are often needed to rewrite equations
- Laws of Logarithms are used to solve exponential equations
- ln (loge) is often used
- Answers are often written in terms of ln
What about hidden quadratics?
- Look out for “hidden” squared terms, these are hidden quadratics which will need to be solved
- 4x = (22)x = 22x = (2x)2
- e2x = (e2)x = (ex)2